2023: A Year in Review
As 2023 draws to a close, we at the Center for Effective Lawmaking (CEL) wanted to take the time to reflect on our accomplishments this year. This included but was not limited to the following:
- The release of our Legislative Effectiveness Scores for the 117th Congress.
- Announcing the recipients of our 2023-2024 small grant awards.
- Hiring our new Senior Program Associate, George Hadijski.
- Introducing new members of our Center Affiliate teams, including Christian Fong, Ju Yeon (Julia) Park, Andrew Pennock, Fred Gui, and Arjun Vishwanath.
- Hosting our 5th Annual Research Conference, which included recognizing the recipient of our Annual Best Publication on Effective Lawmaking award.
- Presenting one of the latest entries in our Conversations with Lawmakers series with an interview with Representative Gerry Connolly.
- Hosting a congressional staff event to engage with “Tools for Effective Lawmaking” on Capitol Hill.
- Presenting our work at the event “Effective Lawmaking: A Cornerstone of Democracy” as part of the Karsh Institute’s “Democracy360” series.
- Presenting our work to the congressional Problem Solvers Caucus and Future Forum Caucus.
- Presenting our work to the LEGIS Congressional Fellowship program at the Brookings Institution.
- Hosting China’s Tsinghua University during their visit to the University of Virginia.
- Generating and sharing new insights through the CEL Working Paper Series.
For more information, also see the Center for Effective Lawmaking Annual Report for 2022-2023.
As always, we would like to thank all of you who have supported us over the years; all of this would not have been possible without you and we look forward to continuing these ventures in 2024.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!